Do you need a fast way to compare more affordable car insurance rates in Oxford, AL? Oxford consumers have options when looking for affordable car insurance. They can either waste time calling around to compare prices or leverage the internet to find the lowest rates.
There is a right way and a wrong way to buy car insurance so you're going to learn the proper way to compare rates for your and get the best price possible.
It's a good idea to get comparison quotes once or twice a year because rates fluctuate regularly. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest rate on car insurance two years ago the chances are good that you can find a lower price today. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because I'm going to teach you the quickest way to reduce your cost while increasing coverage.
The method we recommend to compare insurance rates in your area utilizes the fact most larger insurance companies pay for the opportunity to provide you with free rate quotes. The only thing you need to do is provide information including distance driven, an estimate of your credit level, if it has an anti-theft system, and how your vehicles are used. That rating information is then submitted to many different companies and they return cost estimate very quickly.
If you would like to compare rates now, click here and find out if lower rates are available in Oxford.
The companies shown below can provide free rate quotes in Oxford, AL. If the list has multiple companies, we recommend you compare several of them to find the most affordable car insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT 2WD||$794||$397||$66|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$1,154||$577||$96|
|Dodge Grand Caravan SE||$844||$422||$70|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab ST 4WD||$954||$477||$80|
|Ford Edge Limited AWD||$1,048||$524||$87|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$984||$492||$82|
|Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD||$1,162||$581||$97|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Harley 2WD||$1,086||$543||$91|
|Ford Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,174||$587||$98|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$676||$338||$56|
|Honda CR-V LX 2WD||$864||$432||$72|
|Honda Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,304||$652||$109|
|Honda Odyssey LX||$988||$494||$82|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$1,376||$688||$115|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$1,236||$618||$103|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,416||$708||$118|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Cost estimates assume married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Alabama minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, safe-driver, and claim-free. Premium amounts do not factor in specific location information which can affect premiums substantially.
Insurance rate increases from tickets or accidents
The example below illustrates how speeding tickets and accident claims can influence Kia Optima annual premium costs for different categories of driver ages. The rate quotes are based on a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Kia Optima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Three reasons car insurance is important
Despite the high insurance cost in Oxford, buying car insurance serves several important purposes.
- The majority of states have mandatory insurance requirements which means the state requires a minimum amount of liability protection if you don't want to risk a ticket. In Alabama these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, more than likely the lender will make it mandatory that you have insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may insure your vehicle for a much higher rate and require you to fork over for it.
- Insurance safeguards not only your car but also your assets. It will also cover medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your policy will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of insuring your car are definitely more than the cost, especially when you need to use it. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver is overpaying more than $855 a year so compare rate quotes at every renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Nine discounts for lower-cost car insurance quotes
Some insurers don't list every policy discount very clearly, so the list below details some of the best known and the more hidden discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Oxford car insurance online.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - If you pay your bill all at once rather than paying in monthly installments you can actually save on your bill.
- Discounts for Federal Employees - Having worked for a branch of the government could qualify for a slight premium decrease but check with your company.
- E-sign Discounts - A few larger online companies give back up to $50 shop Oxford car insurance on their website.
- Active Service Discounts - Being deployed in the military could trigger a small discount.
- Student Discounts - Being a good student can get you a discount of up to 25%. This discount can apply until age 25.
- No Claim Discounts - Drivers with accident-free driving histories get the best car insurance rates when compared to frequent claim filers.
- Senior Discount - If you're over the age of 55, you are able to get better car insurance rates.
- Waiver for an Accident - This one isn't a discount, but a few companies such as Progressive and Allstate may permit one accident without the usual rate increase so long as you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- New Car Discount - Insuring a vehicle that is new can cost up to 25% less because new vehicles are generally safer.
Discounts lower rates, but most discounts do not apply the the whole policy. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. So even though you would think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it's just not the way it works.
The best car insurance companies and their possible discounts are outlined below.
- GEICO offers discounts including emergency military deployment, multi-vehicle, daytime running lights, federal employee, driver training, military active duty, and good student.
- USAA offers discounts for family discount, multi-vehicle, new vehicle, vehicle storage, defensive driver, and good student.
- Progressive has savings for homeowner, online quote discount, good student, multi-vehicle, and continuous coverage.
- American Family may include discounts for bundled insurance, mySafetyValet, air bags, accident-free, good student, and defensive driver.
- Esurance may have discounts that include Pac-12 alumni, multi-car, defensive driver, paid-in-full, claim free, multi-policy, and homeowner.
- Farmers Insurance includes discounts for youthful driver, switch companies, early shopping, electronic funds transfer, and good student.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for Drive Safe & Save, driver's education, accident-free, good driver, safe vehicle, and multiple autos.
When quoting, ask every prospective company to give you their best rates. Savings may not apply to policies everywhere. To locate insurers that provide some of the discounts listed above in Oxford, click here.
When to contact a local insurance agent
Many people prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is a personal choice. Insurance agents can point out coverage gaps and help file insurance claims. The biggest benefit of comparing rate quotes online is that you can find lower rates and still have an agent to talk to. Buying from and supporting local insurance agencies is still important in Oxford.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is transmitted to companies in Oxford who will return price quotes to get your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to contact any agents because quoted prices will be sent immediately to you. If you need to get a rate quote from one company in particular, you would need to go to their quote page and submit a quote form there.
Picking the best provider requires more thought than just the bottom line cost. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- By raising physical damage deductibles, how much would you save?
- How long has their agency been in business in Oxford?
- Do the coverages you're quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- Where are claims handled?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
Knowing the specifics of your policy helps when choosing the best coverages and proper limits and deductibles. Auto insurance terms can be impossible to understand and coverage can change by endorsement.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
Your UM/UIM coverage provides protection from other drivers when they are uninsured or don't have enough coverage. It can pay for injuries sustained by your vehicle's occupants as well as damage to your vehicle.
Because many people only carry the minimum required liability limits (25/50/25), it doesn't take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. That's why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage should not be overlooked. Usually these limits are set the same as your liability limits.
This covers damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things such as hitting a bird, fire damage, damage from flooding and damage from a tornado or hurricane. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it's not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage pay for short-term medical expenses for pain medications, surgery and rehabilitation expenses. They are often used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover all vehicle occupants and also covers getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Coverage for collisions
This coverage pays for damage to your vehicle resulting from a collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for things like sustaining damage from a pot hole, colliding with a tree, rolling your car and driving through your garage door. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. You can also increase the deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
This will cover damages or injuries you inflict on other's property or people in an accident. It protects you from legal claims by others. Liability doesn't cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have liability limits of 25/50/25 that translate to $25,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $50,000 in injury protection per accident, and a total limit of $25,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Some companies may use one number which is a combined single limit which combines the three limits into one amount with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability insurance covers claims like legal defense fees, repair bills for other people's vehicles, loss of income and medical expenses. How much coverage you buy is up to you, but consider buying as high a limit as you can afford. Alabama requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/25 but you should think about purchasing better liability coverage.
Don't give up on affordable coverage
Drivers change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as an unsatisfactory settlement offer, lack of trust in their agent, high rates after DUI convictions and being labeled a high risk driver. Whatever your reason, finding a great new company can be easier than you think.
Cheaper auto insurance in Oxford can be purchased on the web as well as from independent agents in Oxford, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some companies may not have rates over the internet and many times these regional insurance providers only sell through independent insurance agents.
We've covered many ideas to shop for auto insurance online. It's most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers may even find the lowest prices are with a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising.
To read more, feel free to browse the following helpful articles: